Disclaimer

I am a midwife, childbirth educator, lecturer, doula, and natural mother of eight children. This is not a medical reference; I do not proclaim to give medical advice. Anything stated here is from personal experience, research, study, and opinion. Each woman has the responsibility to do her own research, consult with her own medical team, and make her own decisions about pregnancy and birth.



Thursday, October 7, 2010

Baby number two...Wow! The techniques taught in childbirth classes really work!

Bismillah al-Rahman al-Rahim
Sarah's Birth Story
Clovis, California
August 21, 1997



I had such a great birth experience the first time that I didn't feel I needed to take childbirth classes again.  However, when the time actually came, instinct took over, I tensed up with the pain, and cognizant use of the techniques taught in my childbirth classes went out the window!  Thankfully, my husband was there and prompted me just enough to remember what to do...and OH! what a difference it made!


I hope you enjoy reading these birth stories.  Please let me know if you'd like to share yours. Now on to the story...Baby number two...Wow!  The techniques taught in childbirth classes really work!...

Unlike Khalid, I knew right away that I was pregnant with Sarah. Also unlike Khalid, I went past my due date by ten days. This time I conceded, without much thought, to a hospital birth. I realized with Khalid's birth that none of my fears about hospital births had been true. Additionally, I realized just how messy birth is and I was glad to let the hospital staff take care of cleaning up!


It was a Thursday morning at 3:00 a.m. when I realized that I passed my mucus plug. I
came back to bed and notified my husband. "You're not going to work today," he
commanded.


"Yes, I am! I have a lot to do! It was two days before I delivered Khalid after passing the
plug," I insisted.


Within fifteen minutes my labor pains began. I told my husband that he was right, that I
was probably going to deliver today. "No you're not. Leave me alone!" he shouted as he
went back to sleep.


I got up and showered. Then I packed my bag for the hospital. I returned to my husband
to wake him. He refused to budge. "It's 4:00 in the morning and I just took a shower. I
think you'd better get up!" I shouted.


He grumbled and moaned and complained about "this one" being a hassle. He went to
shower. I got Khalid ready to go to Grandma's house.


It was about 4:30 a.m. when we dropped Kahlid off. I stepped on her scale, "150," I said
aloud. "Let's go!"


When we got to the car my husband asked me if I wanted to go home and rest before
heading to the hospital. "No," I replied, "we'd better go."


The dreaded speed bumps were just as painful this time around as last. It was about 5:30
a.m. when we got settled in the hospital. My pains started to really kick in. My initial
reaction was to tense up and fight the pain. My husband gently reminded me, "Tummy
breathe."


I immediately remembered the childbirth classes we had taken with Khalid. I
concentrated on relaxing my entire body and breathing deeply. I had a sudden decrease
in pain and increase in pain tolerance. I was amazed! I was instantly "hooked" on the techniques taught in my  childbirth classes forever!


Like with Khalid, I wore the fetal monitors just a few minutes. Once I was assured that the
baby was tolerating the contractions, I insisted they remove them. The doctor was
annoyed that he couldn't "see" my contractions.


Remembering how exhausted I had been during Khalid's birth, I was reluctant to push.
When a contraction would come on, I would become very quiet as I concentrated on total
relaxation. The doctor would realize at the end of the contraction that I had been having a
contraction. He began to yell at me, "If you'd just push this would be over! Come on, I
want to go home!"


I asked him what would happen if I didn't push. He didn't answer. He forced my legs
open and went for his episiotomy scissors. My husband saw what he was about to do and
cocked his fist back, "Don't you dare touch her with that!" he yelled.


Realizing what was happening, I said, "Okay, okay, I'm pushing, I'm pushing." Sure
enough, she was born with that first push. My husband and I both looked at each other in
amazement. We were both shocked it was over so fast. It was a little after 6:00 a.m. We
had only been in the hospital about half an hour.


Aside from a pulled groin muscle from the doctor forcing my legs open, I had absolutely no
pain after the birth. I was up and around immediately and insisted on going home as soon
as possible. The baby and I were released by noon and we were home with Khalid and
Grandma by 1:00 p.m.


Nursing Sarah was much easier than it had been with Khalid at first. I hadn't realized how
difficult he had been as a preemie. I was glad that I had him first, because if I had known
how difficult he was, I may have given up. Sarah nursed for fifteen months. By the time
she weaned, I was already several months pregnant with Amina...and on to the next birth story...

2 comments:

  1. Oh those speed bumps! They'll get you every time.

    Wow this dr wasn't very nice or supportive. Yelling is a great way to help a laboring mom. NOT! Alhamdulilah your dh saw what he was about to do. That seemed to be all the push you needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asalam Alaikum, Umm Tasneem,

    Thanks again for reading and taking the time to comment. LOL about the speed bumps...I even made a post on this blog about them! :) http://saudibirthstory.blogspot.com/2010/10/speed-bumpsa-sign-of-labor.html

    I am very grateful that my husband was there for this birth, alhamdulelah! Not only did he remind me what I needed to do to minimize my pain, he saved me an episiotomy! I can't thank him enough for this, nor express how important it is to have a coach/advocate with you in labor!

    As for the doctor...you know...the man just wanted to go home...TYPICAL!

    Best regards,

    -Aisha, Natural Mom

    ReplyDelete